During the writing of my novel, Bedtime Stories, there was a point where the main characters deviated from my original outline and created their own story.
The novel’s ending is still mine, and there were key plot points I wanted to meet, but how I got there was up to the main characters, Sylvia James and Andres de Leon.
The result is Athena, the second part of my novel. It’s about the grief that comes with losing a loved one to illness and death.
It’s also about Sylvia’s and Andres’ willingness to destroy their lives for a belief rooted in the fairy tales and bedtime stories that had been read to them as children, to help with their fears of being alone in the dark—love saves, soulmates are real.
You will hear, and feel, the full range of their emotions within this one-hour set when you take a moment to listen to this compilation of world music and downtempo sounds.
I created this mixtape style set so that you may connect with Sylvia’s and Andres’s love and grief as channeled through my own emotions stemming from the memories of the person who inspired the character Sylvia.
It’s a beautiful sadness.
- Sounds & Silence – Concept One
- Azam Ali – O Euchari
- Stellamara – Kyrie Eleison
- Dead Can Dance – Anabasis
- Dead Can Dance – The Host of Seraphim
- Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke – Sacrifice
- Lisa Gerrard – Space Weaver
- Jocelyn Pook – Dionysus
- Programm – Epitaph for My Heart
- Snow Ghosts – Circles Out Of Salt
- Chelsea Wolfe – Survive
- AG – My Love Will Never Die ft. Claire Wyndham